Digital Boomers is a coalition of pioneering citizens, health, care and academic professionals across Essex who are committed to improving digital skills for over 55s and within the health and social care workforce.
In 2018 we published a report which considered how technology can be better used across Essex to promote independent living for older people. We found some perception-busting evidence on how older people in Essex are using tech and considered what we might do to enhance this with regards to health and wellbeing. As a result we created a bold vision that by 2021 older people in Essex will be the most tech confident in the world. We also want to spread confidence in digital technology across the voluntary and community sector.
We want to see:
- Digital skills for all citizens over 55 and professionals, with them confident and capable about technology as a core part of life and work
- Technology as a first line response for health and care
- Our working, care and living environments support a digital first approach
- Spaces and opportunities created for people to explore and enjoy technology
- Essex as a leading destination for innovators and independent living technology in practice
- Investment in the community and voluntary sector so they can participate as equal partners
Read our report:
To achieve this we have come up with a series of projects which will help us to deliver our aims and our vision.
- Digital Buddies - Gain new digital skills from peers or share your skills with other residents
- Self assessment - Assess your current digital skills and learn how to strengthen them
- Training - Discover what digital skills training is available online and face-to-face in Essex